Saturday, January 08, 2005

The End of Suburbia (movie recommendation)

I just watched "The End of Suburbia: Oil Depletion and The Collapse of The American Dream." This may be the best documentary I've ever seen. It is ruthlessly honest. It reinforces no myths and spells out with interviews from countless experts how our country has put itself in a corner through what is essentially a societal design flaw - sprawl begging the perpetual demand for cars and oil. Towards the end it mentions an emerging faction promoting "new urbanism" which emphasizes a local focus and community orientation, but it also concerns itself with food production and mixed use (residential/commercial) neighborhoods. I take no personal pleasure in watching movies or reading articles and books simply because they agree with my world view. In this case, I am glad to have a movie to recommend that will educate and enlighten viewers to content richer and deeper than their attention span allows them to absorb directly from me. Highly recommended.

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment Top of Page / GuvWurld Blog Home Page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?