Friday, October 28, 2005
Volunteers Needed For Humboldt Parallel Election
Volunteers Needed on Election Day, Nov. 8, 2005
Concerned citizens are needed in Humboldt County. On Election Day, our team will invite voters to duplicate their vote on a paper ballot that will be counted by hand, in public, after the polls close. The results of this parallel election will be compared to the official election results that are counted by computers out of public view.
WHY ARE WE DOING THIS?
· To demonstrate what Democracy looks likeParallel elections enable citizens to DOUBLE-CHECK the accuracy of official election results. The official ballots and vote tallies are recorded on optical scanners, electronic voting machines, and central tabulator machines that are operated with trade-secret software not disclosed to the public--not even to public election officials! When our ballots are counted with secret software, election officials cannot demonstrate that our votes are actually counted as we cast them.
· To ensure the Consent of the Governed is sought and given
· To make sure your vote is counted as cast!
HAND-COUNTING the parallel election ballots provides a comparative set of voting results, enabling statistical analysis of the official vote count that may detect discrepancies between the reported official tally and how citizens themselves say they voted. The parallel election paper ballots may also provide legal evidence for court challenges.
HOW DOES A PARALLEL ELECTION WORK?
1. Cast your official ballot inside the polling place.* PLEASE VOTE THE SAME WAY YOU VOTED on the OFFICIAL BALLOT.
2. After voting, exit and sign the Citizens' Audit Parallel Election roster book.
3. Vote again on a Citizens' Audit Parallel Election ballot*.
4. Place your Citizens' Audit Parallel Election ballot in the sealed ballot box.
WHERE? The parallel election poll will be outside an official polling place - specific location TBA.
*We have Preparation and Election Day jobs.*
To volunteer and help ensure our Democracy works contact:
For more info: www.studycaliforniaballots.org or www.voterconfidencecommittee.org
Download this flier.
Download 1/4 page leaflet.