Wednesday, February 09, 2005

CONFIRMED: Eureka Councilmembers Kerrigan & Jones to Discuss Town Hall Forum on IRV

Next Tuesday at 1pm I will be meeting with Eureka City Councilmembers Chris Kerrigan and Mike Jones to discuss convening a town hall forum on bringing Instant Runoff Voting to Eureka, CA. This is the second big week in a row following the Arcata City Council's decision last week to formally consider the No Confidence Resolution.

I don't want to exaggerate the importance of the Kerrigan/Jones meeting. I will reserve excitement for once the forum date and location have been confirmed. Still, though, this is happening because Scott Menzies and Jack Nounnan and a few others have been joining me since October for regular appearances at the Eureka City Council meetings. This absolutely is one of many small victories to be acknowledged if not celebrated along the way to election reform.

I have not had any new contact with Arcata City Councilmember Harmony Groves or Arcata Vice Mayor Dave Meserve. The pair comprise a Council subcommittee responsible for editing the No Confidence Resolution. I have been assured an opportunity to engage them on their revision work but I do not know when that will happen.

I believe the next Council meeting agenda will be posted on Friday of this week in advance of next Wednesday's session. If I don't connect with Harmony or Dave by the end of the week, this public notice will at least provide a hint at their time frame, and whether the resolution is ready for consideration or if it will have to wait until March. Meanwhile, Councilmembers in both Eureka and Arcata need to hear encouragement from constituents. I posted contact info for all of them at the bottom of this recent entry. Thank them for being LEADERS, and leading where you want to follow.

Finally, two upcoming events at which I'll be speaking about the No Confidence Resolution.
I will gladly accept invitations from area community groups willing to have a serious discussion on election reform. I'll be looking to do more media outreach too. Please contact me if you want to carpool from Eureka to Garberville on 2/12 or if you can help arrange other speaking opportunities.

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment Top of Page / GuvWurld Blog Home Page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?